Discover the subtle effects of heat, mark making, and powdered glass! Students will learn unique processes with glass powder for sculptural effects. These techniques use small amounts of glass and can be achieved with any programmable kiln.Knowledge of glass is helpful but not imperative. Access to a ceramic or glass kiln is necessary to complete the projects. We will create a series of sculptural glass feathers and leaves and a small design on glass using unique yet readily available tools. This virtual course will include hands on learning, a variety of demonstrations, time for Q&A, and detailed handouts.
Supplies required for two-day workshop:
- Pallet knife with flat side
- Rubber tip clay tool
- Tea light candle
- Small sifter for powder
- Construction paper
- 6”x6” unglazed tiles (commonly purchased at a paint your own ceramic studio or online)
- Either kiln wash or kiln shelf paper
- Small bowl
- Programmable Kiln (it is ok if these are ceramic kilns)
- N95 mask or equivalent (for protection from glass powder when sifting)
- Glass Supplies for each student: 10 ounces of glass powder & 2 Clear fusible 4”x4” glass.
Optional Kit Purchase
- 10oz Bullseye Glass powder
- 2x 4” x 4” clear fusible glass
- Kiln shelf paper
Total cost of materials: $55
Shipping to East Coast: $30
Please contact Jennifer to order supplies or if you have any questions about tools and supplies.
**Note that kit purchase is optional if artists already have the materials